Monday, June 9, 2008

La bolsa mercado - Market Bag Project

This is the bag filled with yarn for my scarf project, yes, hanging from the ceiling fan.
I have finished this project for some time now, but I haven't had a chance to blog about it. I whipped this up right after I got here because I found myself going through all of these plastic bags--Argentines notoriously wrap and bag everything. I try to be as environmentally conscious as possible, so I wanted to cut down on the number of plastic bags I used.

Here's a close up of the bag.
Janelle, one of my knitting buddies from Gburg recommended the project to me, too, since I have been wanting to make some lace. This is a lace pattern of sorts, and it uses cotton yarn--there's no shortage of cotton yarn in Argentina.

I chose Elisa's Nest Tote that was posted on the Purl Bee's Blog. It is a very easy pattern to memorize since its really only 2 pattern rows and they are highly repetitive. I could have easily finished the bag in one sitting, but it took longer since I am not sitting and knitting a whole lot right now. I do it in between things or right before bed.




I do have some comments about the pattern that I have fixed in my second bag. After you make the body of the bag, I would highly recommend to seam the bag inside out so that you don't see the seam from the outside.

Also, the pattern calls for you to cast-on the handles with a traditional cast-on and then Kitchener them together at the end. I think this would be accomplished much easier by using a provisional cast-on (that Janelle thankfully explained). I used Judy Becker's Magic Cast-on, but you could use whatever you'd like. I provisionally casted-on the stitches and the Kitchenered them when I finished the handle.

Ravelry Link

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steven said...

Very nice bag! I'm impressed. And what a great way to introduce yourself to lace-like knitting. Need to remember this.

In my experience, Janelle always comes to the rescue!