Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cornell Capa - Photojournalist

In the NYTimes I just read that Cornell Capa died at 90. "Cornell Capa, Photographer, Is Dead at 90". I always admired his work. He was known for doing a large project, with a group of other photographers, to cover the first 100 days of John F. Kennedy's family. He took pictures of a lot of people significant in the 20th century, like Marilyn Monroe, Babe Ruth, British Monarchy, Billy Graham, et al. I guess I have always been drawn to his work in addition because he took many pictures in Latin America, and specifically in Argentina around the time Perón was overthrown.

The NYTimes article also has a photo section that has one of the Argentinian photos.

I admire that he worked almost--if not exclusively--in black and white.

If you're interested, check out a larger collection of his work on Magnum Photos collection.

No comments: